I made the jump from conventional music to alternative to metal during high school. The first metal song I ever heard was Napalm Death – Plague Rages from an old Earache Records compilation which also featured Entombed, Cathedral and Godflesh. Fear Factory supported by Choke at Metros in Fremantle (in 1998) was the first live gig I went to. It opened my eyes and ears to the thriving local metal scene in Perth, as well as the local radio shows – Critical Mass, Behind The Mirror and Metal Heart (now The Quest).
How did you become involved?
I started volunteering at another community radio station in 2005 and cut my teeth working on a weekly metal radio show with Deryk (Critical Mass co-host). When an opportunity arose in 2011 to join the Critical Mass team part-time, we jumped at the chance!
If stuck on Mars, what five albums could you not go without?
- Iron Maiden – Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (not a usual favourite, but unlike other Bruce-era Maiden albums, it stands apart for me due to the concept album’s epic feel)
- Emperor – Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk (that intro, flowing into the beginning of Ye Entrancemperium still sends shivers down my spine)
- Ocean Machine – Biomech (metal’s answer to Dark Side of the Moon)
- Death – Symbolic (the riffs, the voice, the drumming… everything a great metal album should be)
- ISIS – Oceanic (changed my perception about what “heavy” means and introduced me to the world of post-metal)
What is the best thing about being involved with the station?
I have a short attention span so the best thing is getting to hear lots of new music, via your own show and others. That, and meeting other like-minded music geeks.
What is the strangest thing that has happened to you in the RTRFM studio?
Switching the studio off-air after accidentally bumping a bit of equipment. I was new to RTR at the time so I was freaking out a bit. The incident happened halfway through a Nevermore song. Luckily the failover system came on, blasting some reggae music out over the airwaves and before too long we sorted out the problem and resumed the show. I haven’t played any Nevermore since!
If you could present a show that is not your own, which show would it be? Why?
Behind The Mirror because they have such a cool-sounding, mysterious name.